Help your Lymphatic system to function efficiently. An Article By Raul Berral – Myotherapist
What is the Lymphatic system?
The lymphatic system is an extensive drainage network that helps keep bodily fluid levels in balance and defends the body against infections.
The lymphatic system is made up of a network of lymphatic vessels. These vessels carry lymph (a clear, watery fluid containing protein molecules, salts, glucose, urea, and other substances) throughout the body.
What does it do?
One of the lymphatic system’s major jobs is to collect extra lymph fluid from body tissues and return it to the blood. This process is important because water, proteins, and other substances are continuously leaking out of tiny blood capillaries into the surrounding body tissues. If the lymphatic system didn’t drain the excess fluid, it would build up in the body’s tissues and they would swell.
The lymphatic system also helps defend the body against germs like viruses, bacteria, and fungi that can cause illnesses. Those germs are filtered out in the lymph nodes, which are small masses of tissue located along the network of lymph vessels. The nodes house lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell. Some of those lymphocytes make antibodies, special proteins that fight off germs and stop infections from spreading by trapping disease-causing germs and destroying them.
What is Lymphatic Drainage?
Lymphatic drainage is a therapeutic massage treatment. The massage uses very light pressure and long, gentle, rhythmic strokes to increase the flow of lymph and reduce toxins in your body.
Benefits of Lymphatic Drainage treatment
Lymphatic drainage massage can have a beneficial effect on your general health. Because lymph is key to keeping your immune system working properly, improving the flow and drainage of lymph around the body is good for you in lots of ways.
Lymphatic drainage can:
· Help to flush the lymphatic system and reduce the chance of you suffering from minor colds and viruses; it helps your body fight off infection, and speeds up healing and recovery from illness.
· help reduce water retention; as the lymph system has no pump, if you sit for a long time without moving, the lymph fluid becomes stagnant — this is why you may experience swollen feet after a long flight or sitting for long periods.
· reducing swelling, puffiness and blotches.
· speeding up healing in scar tissue, so it may, for example, improve the appearance of stretch marks.
· increases blood flow and circulation to the affected areas, which helps the body break down toxins which may cause dimply skin.
Always tell your therapist in advance if you are, or think you might be, pregnant, have any medical conditions or are receiving any treatment or medication, have recently had an operation, or are allergic to anything.
To book an appointment for lymphatic treatment, you can click through to our online booking page and select "Myotherapy" for your Lymphatic drainage treatment. If you have any questions about lymphatic treatments at Body Health Co, or not sure if this is suitable for you, please contact us via phone or email.